Moving right along.

Home-Sweet-Home

I cannot believe that I have only been in the U.S. for six weeks. So much has happened!

The last month, especially, has been a whirlwind and I have been so fortunate to be granted so many opportunities all at once. I have been waiting to write about it until everything came together, not to mention I was just trying to catch my breath in the midst of it all, but I am so excited to be able to share my news with all of you now.

1) Employment: Tomorrow will be my first day as an ASD Classroom Assistant. I am so excited about this because I get to continue to work with people on the spectrum, but in an all new environment. I have never worked full-time in a school before and I cannot wait to learn more about this extremely important part of a child's support system.

2) Housing: The elementary school that I will be working at is located in a suburb of Detroit, so naturally this meant moving, or having the world's longest commute from the Flint area every day. For those of you who aren't familiar - here's what that would look like.


And that's in Sunday afternoon traffic....

Luckily, I am blessed with some really wonderful and welcoming, long-time friends who just happened to be looking for someone to rent an extra room.

In their spacious and beautiful apartment.

In Detroit.

3) Transport: This puts my living situation about ten miles away from my working situation, which is awesome, but as the Michigan's public transportation system is still light-years away from the convenience of European rails I still had to consider some vehicular options. So..... I am super proud to announce that I have also signed my very first contract to lease a car! I think that this is the thing that I am most proud of. Not so much for stepping up to the car-acquiring plate, but because my credit was even good enough for me to get approved.


Ah. Guys. This is crazy. How did this all happen so fast?

I mean, I guess I did it, but it feels more like I just looked away for a second and when I turned back it was all just there in front of me. It feels good though. After being so dependent on others for a while, having to sort of start all over again has reminded me that I am actually capable of putting my own life in order. I feel like I can be a real adult.

If I want to, that is :)

Love.



Comments

Popular Posts