Northern Ireland. Where there were also people.

Looks like they just bought their first house. Teehee.

As a person who enjoys taking photographs (I know that sounds long-winded, but the idea of calling myself a "photographer" just feels so ostentatious and also inaccurate, so please bear with me) I am highly motivated by nature. I have always enjoyed taking snaps of my siblings and friends, but it wasn't until I began traveling and being exposed to some serious natural beauty that my interest really took off, and since then most of my photos have been focused on places and things, rather than people. I can only assume (though I haven't looked back at all of my posts) that this is reflected in my blog, and I know that while I find it very easy to fill up a post with recently visited landscape, I usually have to remind myself to stick in one or two shots with smiling faces (my own, if possible) because other people will want to see them.

I am fine with this. I do enjoy the odd selfie, but I must admit that posed photos tend to throw me for a bit of a loop and I post them mainly as a means of sharing them with the subjects, who might want them for their own collections. I don't even really enjoy posed photos of myself, and whenever a passerby offers to take a picture for me, I often hesitate and feel rather reluctant about handing over the camera.

When I do make people the subjects of my photos, I prefer to capture them more candidly or "in-the-moment". This makes things difficult, as people usually pose or adjust themselves as soon as they see the lens pointed in their direction. I completely understand this. We all have an idea of what angles suit us best and few of us enjoy the perspectives that other people tend to take of us. What this means, though, is that most of my best photos end up happening when people aren't paying attention. This is, perhaps, why many of my best photos with human subjects are of my husband...

Due to my oft experienced difficulty in coming to terms with my photos of other people, my vacations and experiences can appear to be solo ventures. In reality, I am usually traveling with one or more individuals whose company I genuinely enjoy. I have also probably taken quite a few photos of my companions. I just haven't posted them.

My recent visit to Northern Ireland is one such trip, which could very easily look as if I was mostly alone or as if I had completely ignored everyone around me in favor of the landscape. But I didn't, and in an effort to share more memories of living beings (many of which are acknowledging the camera), here are some photos to prove it.




 Cats of Northern Ireland. Don't worry, I'm just getting started.


People simultaneously exhibiting brotherly love and sibling rivalry.


*


People who are married and have two kids being adorable in a rare moment of peace.


People on the Kingsroad.


People being pirates.*


 People geeking out at a Game of Thrones filming location.


People doing lunges.*


People striking poses.*


People feeling a bit windswept whilst on a somewhat enjoyable tour.


More people being adorable and also somehow consistently managing to dress in colors that perfectly contrast with the surrounding autumnal landscape.


*One note (and giving credit where credit is due): Photos marked with an asterisk were not taken by me. I know this because, at the time they were taken I was swimming in very cold water some good distance away from where they were taken, and this is an experience which one does not easily forget. The credit is most likely due to my better half or to one of our friends, although the photos could just as easily have been taken by one of the young people that we were visiting, who are growing up in a completely new era of technology and who probably became well acquainted with the basics of photography in their mother's womb.



Love.

Comments

Popular Posts